Friday, March 15, 2013

Nocturne No.1 in C Minor


Nocturne No.1 in C minor

With this composition I have made it more of a priority to hold back. Taking a, "less is more" mentality when composing it, this piece is not focused on technique so much as it focuses on story telling in the music. Mozart is known for his operas. He loved Opera. Even his solo works have a story element in them. I have always had a story playing in my head when I played. When it was a manic depression of a lover in a Beethoven sonata, or exploding balls of mirrored glass against a blood-red sky of a Chopin etude, the images in my head helped me learn a piece and play it. 

The hardest part of composing this, besides having my youngest hanging on my back as I did it, was to hold back. Not for fear of not being able to play it, or trying to sound showy, but to show myself that I can hold back, and in doing so, really being able to let loose a dark part of my music. 

About the technical parts:
This piece of mine, this Nocturne, is set in a very basic rondo form: (ABABCAB) with slight variations with every passing AB. I go from common time to 3/4 every other measure to build an almost uncertainty for strong and weak beats for the listener. The time is not all completely vague, the transition from A to B is noticeable almost mockingly. The trio section, C, brings the play between common and 3/4 together with the treble playing triplets over the bass playing duplets. Melody in a slow waltz as the accompany plays an adagio 2/4 omm-pa. I would be interested to see how a dancer would chose to choreograph to this. After the dancing of the C, we move back into the familiar AB section until the end.

Tonically specking,this isn't very in-depth. It stays fairly diatonic through out the C minor A and B as well as the dominate minor tonic in the trio. 

The story, or the emotion that invoked it, is my own,  and telling you what it was would rob you of what it would mean to you, the listener. When you do hear it, I would love to hear what you thought of it. What you felt, if there was a story for you, or colors it reminded you of. Thanks for your feed back.

No comments:

Post a Comment